Monday, January 22, 2007

Another cabbage post.....

After reading the comments on my post about braised cabbage below, I realize that cabbage is comfort food for me because it triggers some very pleasant childhood memories. Around holidays, my mom would make a huge roaster of cabbage rolls, done in that old-country rustic Polish way. The meat would be sauteed in salt pork, and I recall getting out of school, which was several blocks away from home, and picking up the distinctive smell of rendering salt pork, and knowing that my mom was preparing cabbage rolls. The meat was always a combination of pork, beef and veal, mixed with a rice. My mom would line the roaster with cabbage before loading in the rolls for roasting. She would also put a strip of back ribs on top to cook with the cabbage rolls. As they roasted, the smell of the cabbage lining the pan carmelizing was intoxicating.

6 comments:

Underground Baker said...

I just made creamed cabbage with peas to go with a pork roast last night. It was so good. Very simular to how you made your cabbage, but at the end I splashed a little cream in, and when it bubbled up I tossed in a few handfuls of tiny peas.
I like the idea that humans have been eating cabbage and its variations for a very, very long time.

Wandering Coyote said...

Oh, I love a good cabbage roll! My mom made really good ones. We have a large Dukhobour community nearby and we had cabbage rolls from one of their establishments. They were quite disappointing. Do you have a good recipe?

mister anchovy said...

I posted one a little over a year ago here. Enjoy. If you have any questions, email me. It's my mom's traditional Polish recipe.

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds even better...but too complicated for me! I am woefully lazy.

mister anchovy said...

The cabbage roll recipe is da bomb. You have to give yourself a day to get it done, so we only do it about once a year. It brings it all back home.....

Underground Baker said...

That cabbage roll recipe sounds amazing. I have never made cabbage rolls unless someone pays me!
I may have to change that.