Friday, May 26, 2006

Pasties and a G-string, bottle full of rum.....



...oops, wrong kind of pastie. These things are sold all over the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, usually in shops that specialize in "pasties, smoked whitefish, home-made jerky, ice cream", not necessarily in that order, but almost always, pasties first. I was going to try one, as your faithful correspondent, but in the end, I left the mystery intact. Are pasties tasty? Have any of you, dear readers, enjoyed one in your travels?

There are also quite a few establishments advertising fish fries, featuring fresh whitefish and walleye... When I arrived on the U.P., in St. Ignace, I had fish & chips, made with walleye, and it was really fantastic.

3 comments:

mister anchovy said...

Note in the bottom pic, you can see the Canadian flag, yet this is in America...the American flag is cut off to the left....it hangs higher than the others. PS, I'll have my prime ib medium rare.....

Candy Minx said...

Great photos, that's hilarious with the flags...I'm trying to think if I've seen that anywhere else...

I had a hell of a time trying to read the fish fry sign.

Wandering Coyote said...

I've had a Cornish pasty in Cornwall and it was to die for! And the pasty shop was cool, too; you could see the staff make them start to finish. There was a huge line-up, too, so we knew it was probably a good place.