Tuesday, May 16, 2006

...just one more post about accordions


Both these accordions are branded "Mundinger", but were made in Italy by a company called Accordiola. Both were likely made in the late 50s or early 60s, and both accordions play very well. The bigger one, the 4 reed, I have been playing for a while. The smaller one belonged to the grandmother of our friend Sarah. It has 3 reed sets, rather than 4...notice there are fewer switches on the front. They were looking for a home for it, and thought of me. Imagine my surprise when I opened the case to see an accordion that looked so similar to the one I was playing! Notice that the colours are opposites...the white on one is black on the other and vice versa. The title link takes you to a page with a little information about Eric Mundinger, a well-known accordionist in the Toronto area, once upon a time. I understand that Sarah's grandmother was a student of Mr. Mundinger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool - his and hers accordions !

I like the black one - it's very striking.