Sunday, July 20, 2008

Zuckerberg Island

I went here yesterday with my dad. There is a trail around the island, and my sister-in-law is working at the house for the summer. More information about this local historical site here.

The first picture is of the remnants of a traditional kekuli, or pit house, used on the island by the Sinixt people, who are part of the Lakes Salish nation.

The second picture is of the house Alexander Zuckerberg built on the island. Note the onion-shaped mini-tower on the roof, reminiscent of Russian architecture. There is an attic underneath it that until recently housed a family of raccoons that my sister-in-law couldn't get rid of no matter what she tried. In the end, the city came and scared them away with ammonium-soaked rags, and there hasn't been a problem since.

The island is accessed currently by a causeway, but there is also a suspension bridge. This was built by the local army squadron, the 44th Field Engineers. My dad, back in the day, was a member, and he helped build this suspension bridge, which has since fallen into disrepair due to lack of resources. I have learned that some money has been allocated to repair it, though. I've been over the suspension bridge many times and it's a little freaky because it sways back and forth.
The trail around the island makes for easy hiking, but there is poison ivy to be aware of should you stray from the trail, and there are a lot of bugs - mosquitoes and river moths, which are gross and disgusting and tend to swarm you and get up your nose. Castlegar's Millenium Trail is also a really nice, easy walk, and it goes by Zuckerberg Island, winding along the river. In the oppressive heat, I was sorely tempted to jump into one of the several swimming holes along the route.

5 comments:

mister anchovy said...

I had no idea this existed. Thanks for posting WC.

Bridget Jones said...

What a cool place! Thanks for the write up!

Wandering Coyote said...

Mr. A: Good fishing in these parts!

Bridg: Yes it is a cool place. Castlegar otherwise has very little else going for it.

Candy Minx said...

I would have been in that water naked if I had to in a heart beat! I went there a couple of times as a kid. Used to be salmon. Not anymore.

Great pics.

Unknown said...

Nice blog of Roof Insulation.
Excellent topics, I am searching online roof repair memphis. After long searching I got this online that, ROOFER.ORG is a "full service" National roofing company and they can handle everything from a new roof installation, restoration and maintenance to re-roofs and repairs. All with the assurance that can solely come with years of experience. Every company is treated with the "personal touch" that comes from their staff. Contact today!