Saturday, April 05, 2008

Aldo Rizzardi?

I had a great day busking in Kensington Market today. I played from about 10 until 1:30 this afternoon, without anything more than a water break. By the time I was done, I was pretty tired, and my fingers were objecting to more play. I'm saving my busking money for a 3/4 size 3-reed piano accordion I have my eyes on.

While I was playing today, there was a fellow hanging out for quite a while. He told me I should check out the recordings of Aldo Rizzardi, an Italian player who lived in Mexico (and in particular a song called Paris Bridge Down. Mr. Rizzardi played the chromatic button accordion.

Quite a few people took pictures today, and tips were really good, but I didn't sell any CDs...maybe next time. It was really a beautiful sunny day in the market. There were a lot of people out and about. I was surprised at how many people with dogs I saw. I'd say I saw at least 30 dogs out walking their people. I especially like the market punker dogs who seem to have the same edge as their owners.

I had to move once, about half an hour after I started playing because the Hot Box pot-head cafe decided to blast reggae out to the street while I was playing across the street. I moved a short bit down the street, and settled on the north side of Baldwin at the east side of Tom's place.

5 comments:

Candy Minx said...

Sorry I missed you...wasn't able to get my kit in time.

Landed up walking 11 k with Anita and Behzad...I really needed the exercise.

Beliz said...

Hello....
Today I googled my fathers name and found your blog.
I am Aldo Rizzardi's son, I live in Mexico city.
I am a film making student and I'm working on a screenplay based on my fathers life.
I have all his original records, did you have the chance to listen to that song? I can look for it and send it to you....

mister anchovy said...

Beliz,
Thank you for your comment. On two occasions, I've been asked if I know your father's music. The people who have asked me were most enthusiastic and assured me that his recordings were fantastic. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find his recordings up here in Toronto Canada, so to date I still have not had the pleasure of hearing his music.

If you have anything you could send as an mp3, I would really appreciate it. Hold onto those original records!

I hope your screenplay is going well and you have the chance to make the film too!

Unknown said...

Hi. Loved to hear from Sergio Rizzardi''s
on. I was a student if his. Was there movie ever finished? He was a very inspired performer of thé harmonica.

Unknown said...

Hi. Loved to hear from Sergio Rizzardi''s
on. I was a student if his. Was there movie ever finished? He was a very inspired performer of thé harmonica.