Saturday, April 05, 2008

Susur Lee off to NY

Susur Lee, Toronto's most celebrated chef is closing his mainstay Susur's in May and opening a new restaurant in NYC. Lee is keeping his second Toronto eatery (the cheaper one) open. The Globe quotes him as saying, “If I don't change, I'll get old,” he said. “I always love the challenge. I always love to do new things. This is what I do.”

Some will recall some bad press endured by Mr. Lee, after employees complained about how they were treated. I wonder if this influenced his decision open up in NY? Perhaps Toronto just can't support an eatery where dinner for two can cost upwards of $400 Canadianos? Maybe he just wanted a new adventure.

Tuffy and I had the opportunity to eat at Susur's just once, as guests at a Lunar New Year celebration a few years ago. The food was very rich, very beautiful and really quite spectacular. Still, it isn't the kind of food I would want to eat very often. It is rich food for the very rich.

No comments: