Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dinner at the Anchovy's

It seems to me that many cultures have a so-called peasant food that involves rice and whatever is in the fridge, made in one pot. There is paella, pelau, rizotto, fried rice, and my favourite, jambalaya, which I made for dinner today.

history of jambalaya

There are a number of ways to go about making jambalaya. Here's how I learned to do it.

Start with a heavy pot or dutch oven. I add some olive oil, then saute up "the trinity", which is chopped up bell pepper, onions and celery. Tonight, I chopped in a couple fresh cayenne chiles. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and thyme. Add some sausage. I use andouille if I can get it, or if not, any smoked sausage is great. Add long-grained rice and stir, coating the rice with oil. Add some stock, about 2 1/2 times more broth than rice. If you're using a dutch oven or cast iron pot, you can cover it and cook in the oven or else cook covered on the stovetop. In either case, cook slowly until the rice is close to done. Add a handful of shrimp, and when the shrimp and the rice are done, you're good to go. Alternatively, you can cook covered at a low heat on the stove.

Cajun jambalaya doesn't use tomatoes. Creole jambalaya does. Either way, it's delicious. You can make it as spicy as you like. When I visited Cajun country last year, I was surprised that the food wasn't nearly as spicy as I had expected.



I'd better apologize for this one in advance...


and of course, Andy Kaufman's version


...and finally, CJ Chenier

6 comments:

Candy Minx said...

Wow, that old Letterman set was really something. What were they sitting on? Lawnchairs? I think I liked Kaufman's version the best. Interesting stylin. I loved the old cartoon too.

I made jambalaya a couple years ago for Stagg, with chicken shrimp and suasage.

But the rice is so fattening. I told you Stagg has lost 15 pounds on my diet right?

mister anchovy said...

No rice for you....

zydeco fish said...

I had vegetarian jambalaya once... It didn't quite cut it.

Anonymous said...

The last video didn't work for me - dang!

Love jambalaya. Did I ever tell you that I used to be a bartender at Southern Accent?

Unknown said...

No, I had no idea, Az.

laura k said...

And don't forget arroz con pollo. I love making jambalaya and arroz con pollo, mostly because making them only requires fresh ingredients and very little technique or cooking skills.

I'm enjoying the covers, btw.