Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Saskatoon-berry Crumble


My saskatoon bushes are doing really well, and this year, I have loads of berries. The other day, I made a batch of saskatoon-berry crumble. It's no big deal to make.
I mixed together some flour and some quick oatmeal and some brown sugar and a little salt and a pinch of baking soda and some cinnamon and some melted butter to make the crumble. Then in a baking dish I poured a pile of ripe berries, and on top of that a layer of apple slices. I loaded the crumble topping on top and baked it for an hour.

It was seriously good. Even better, I'm sure I'm going to have enough berries for another batch.

3 comments:

Bridget Jones said...

Saskatoon berries!!! OMG how cool. At one office at which I worked (95 hour weeks, no less, for 4 frickin' years) there was a Saskatoon mafia. One of the wives in the SM made saskatoon berry pic, and some of us non-saskatooners were treated to it. Haven't had much of it since, but it was so definitely cool.

Thanks for the memory-jogger, Mr. A!

Anonymous said...

Yum! How many berries bushes do you have? Do you need a lot of bushes to produce enough berries?

mister anchovy said...

hey garden grrrl. I have 3 bushes. One is about 5 years old, one is a year younger and the third I've had for just a couple years. Realistically though, 2 plants will bear a lot of berries, but you have to be patient as the plants grow for two or three years.