Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Sailor's Hornpipe




The Sailor's Hornpipe mp3 can be found on this page.

I've been learning to play a tune called The Sailor's Hornpipe on the accordion. It is a lovely familiar old melody I really like. I didn't know what a hornpipe was, though, so I thought I'd do a little clicking around the web to find out. It turns out this tune was popular during the 16th to 18th centuries. I had no idea. The actual dance imitates shipboard activities. The name hornpipe refers to a musical instrument that was durable, portable and handy to use on an ocean voyage.

Most of us are familiar with the tune because the melody was used as theme music for the Popeye the Sailor man cartoons.

2 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

sure.. now the popeye theme is going to be playing in my head all day!

sp said...

I remember learning this tune on the piano when I was a kid. My older sister played it very well and I wanted to learn all the songs she knew so I tried learning it on my own.
At the time I didn't know it was related to popeye because I don't think I had ever seen popeye outside of the weekend comics in the newspaper.
I think it would be wonderful on the accordion.