Sunday, January 14, 2007

djembe


djembe, originally uploaded by mister anchovy.



I bought a djembe yesterday at African Drums and Arts Crafts on Dundas St, just below Kensington Market. They sell all kinds of drums at different levels of quality. The density of the wood is one of the big determiners of quality....apparently denser wood enables better variety of sound. I tried several drums before choosing this one, which was made in Ivory Coast. The drum store has classes on Fridays between 7 & 9 pm for 20 bucks a class. I'm going to check it out on Friday and start to build some chops. I'd like to eventually find a good drum circle to participate in.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, djembe drumming is great fun.

Anonymous said...

I like it, very nice drum!

Stagg said...

All drums are cool-c'mon you get to bang on the thing!!! Chicago has this cool club near Oprah's Harpo studios ( maybe called Rhythmn) ...I used to go and bring a conga cosmic LP...sometimes I'd just go and they supply the drum with yer cover. It's a cool place.

STAGG

thehealingroom said...

Hey! I just bought a djembe too!
Welcome to the world of hand-drumming. I hope you find a fun circle that resonates with you. Our circle just expanded fro 5 of us to 10.
We have a great teacher who only charges $6 a person.

Anonymous said...

Djembe drumming is cool
Lets spread da word
I'm spreading it here in Bradninch,Devon UK
bOOM BA bOOM

Anonymous said...

How much did you pay for your djembe? I'm looking to get one soon, and I'm just curious! :)
It's very nice!

mister anchovy said...

Allie,
I don't recall exactly what I paid, except that it was over 3 bills. As I understand it, part of the variance in prices depends on the density of the wood. If you buy one at the shop I bought mine at, you'll get a free tuning down the road as well.