Saturday, February 04, 2006

Red Cross by John Fahey

I stopped into my local independent music seller's establishment this afternoon, thinking about Dave Van Ronk. Unfortunately, they had none of the late Mr. van Ronk's music - however, I did stumble across a very stark looking CD....brown cardboard, and on the front, the name John Fahey and under it a red cross. It turns out this was the last collection of material put out by the eccentric Mr. Fahey. I don't know all that much about him. I am familiar with Blind Joe Death, and I read recently that he was active in Memphis for a while, looking for old blues guys. This is a stark, eerie, deliberate, lovely haunting collection of material. It is personal and peculiar, and to me, very compelling.

My rating: 4 anchovies (1 anchovy = this sucks; 2 anchovies = OK background music; 3 anchovies = hey, this is pretty good; 4 anchovies = something special; the whole can of anchovies = freakin fantastic)

No comments: