Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee

I was thinking about Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee today, so I thought I'd fish around for some videos to post here. Do you know their music? When I was a teenager, I heard their music and became really fascinated with it. I got a chance to attend one of their shows at the old El Macombo here in Toronto. Fantastic. And later I saw them again at the Ontario Place forum. By that time, they weren't getting along so good, and it was more like seeing two separate shows.

They play what is sometimes referred to as Piedmont style blues, from North Carolina. In their long career they became associated with people like Woodie Guthrie and Pete Seeger. If you listen to Blind Boy Fuller, you'll get a sense of the tradition they came out of. Mr. Fuller's music had more of a rough edge. Also, if you listen to Doc Watson playing blues pieces, you'll here a similar approach.

Here's Stranger Blues...


Here's Ride Ride Ride...


Sonny Terry was blind and Brownie McGhee had a problem with his leg as a result of polio. I heard a recording once where Brownie said to Sonny, "You walk for me, and I'll see for you".

Here's Hootin the Blues, featuring the amazing harmonica playing and whooping of Sonny Terry...

6 comments:

Ron Moorby said...

I also like their music very much. This post will prompt me to revisit and listen again - thanks.

penlan said...

Love these guys! I saw them in Montreal in the late 60's or early 70's in a small coffee house called "Cafe Penelope".

They were awesome!! The place, being small, made it an intimate & a very personal experience. Oh the good old days, for sure.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

The Spousal Unit likes the music a lot. He's a big blues fan.

Candy Minx said...

I remember seeing these guys bickering on stage once...I guess it happens to everyone

mister anchovy said...

They travelled together for something like 40 years...that's a long time to work together.

Candy Minx said...

40 years, hey they would have to have some raw nerves in that time period har...