Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Got you Covered - Vigilante Man

A while back, I did a post on the Woody Guthrie song Pretty Boy Floyd, and I made a reference to Nazareth. Somewhere in the depths of my memory I remembered them covering one of Mr. Guthrie's tunes and I thought it was Pretty Boy Floyd. It came to me today that no, it was in fact Vigilante man. Well, I couldn't find a Nazareth version on the ol' inner-nets, but I did find many excellent takes on this excellent old tune. For instance, there's Ry Cooder. Hans Theesink's version gave me the shivers. I stumbled across a lecture by Richard Polenburg discussing the background to the song.

I've never heard the Burns Sisters Band before. Nice.

This is a song that grabs you from the first line and whacks you upside the head. Have you seen that Vigilante Man? Have you? Did he have a gun and a club in his hand?

2 comments:

Stagg said...

This post with all these songs is a great learning experience!!

Candy Minx said...

I really really enjoyed all these videos and the background. What a song!