Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Got you Covered - Froggie Went a Courtin

I guess you can't really call any version of a folk tune a cover. I don't think we know who composed Froggie Went a Courtin, but it's been around for a long time. The song tells the story of Froggie, who asks Miss Mousie for her hand in marriage. Miss Mousie says she can't marry anyone without her Uncle Rat's permission. He agrees and they plan the wedding, to be held in the hollow tree. The wedding takes place, and violence ensues, involving Old Grey Cat eating Mousie and Uncle Rat and a duck eating poor Froggie. What a strange and fantastic song! Here are some choice versions of the tune...
I love Weird Bob's 1992 version from Good as I Been to You


Here's the late "skiffle" player Lonnie Donnegan


And finally, here's Lew Dite, accompanying himself on Uke...

6 comments:

Candy Minx said...

There was a time when we first got the computer and I guess you had mailed Stagg a version of this song...that we couldn't turn the puter on without this song haunting us...somehow got on our desktop or something...

mister anchovy said...

Well, what an excellent song to be haunted by. The melody is an old one and is used with other sets of lyrics as well. The lyrics are splendid though. It covers courting, diversity, family politics, community, and the stark violence of the animal kingdom. I love how matter of fact Miss Mousie is: "Without my Uncle Rat's consent, I would not marry the President, uh huh."

Candy Minx said...

Yep, it is an amazing song..and I think it originated as a covert joke/criticism of Elizabeth way back when...which is interesting since she was "the virgin queen". I'm trying to remember if there is a version of this song in one of the Cate Blancett movies...I don't think so though. (It wouldbe a nice touch)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Malcolm said...

It was cool to hear Lonnie Donegan's version of "Froggie Went a Courtin'". Although we will be likely rot waiting for it to happen, Donegan should definitely be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the "Early Influences" category. Had it not been for Donegan, many of the UK beat groups might not have even gotten into music.

mister anchovy said...

You may well be right about the origin. I wonder if the melody was the same back then. Bob Dylan used the same melody on Apple Suckling Tree (Basement Tapes). I've also heard it as the Crawfish Song.