Monday, September 29, 2008

Dinner at the Anchovy's - BBQ Meatloaf

When I was a kid, mom's meatloaf was my favourite comfort food. It is delicious, but not exactly low fat. I have her recipe, but it isn't something I make very often these days. This weekend I decided to try to make it on the bbq.

Here's how I went about it...

1. Get the charcoal going on the bbq (I have no idea what this is like on a gas grill because I don't use one). You need to have a bbq with a cover to make this recipe.
2. In a bowl, add some ground beef and an equal amount of ground pork. Add your favourite bbq rub (I have a constantly changing batch of bbq in the cupboard at all times). Add a handful of breadcrumbs. Add two eggs.
3. Mix it all together.
4. Form the loaf (or loaves....I made an extra one for the 87 yr old fellow who lives next door to me...I thought he'd enjoy it for dinner and for sandwiches next day) in aluminum foil pans. I made one in a doubled up tin foil pie plate and the other one, for my neighbour, in a rectangular aluminum foil loaf pan.
5. Cut some slices of bacon in half and lay them on top of the loaves.
6. Put the pans in the bbq using indirect heat. I use a green egg bbq which makes this easy, but on any charcoal bbq, you can bank the charcoal up on one side and put the pans on the other, and get good results.
7. Cover the bbq, bring the heat up to about 375f and go work in the garden for a while.
8. After half an hour, open a cold beer, take a break from the garden, and have a look at the loaves. Enjoy the beer, then get back to work in the garden.
9. After an hour and a quarter, brush your favourite bbq sauce on top. You now have time to quickly go back to the kitchen to make up a nice salad.
10. Feel the love.

4 comments:

Karen said...

If you removed the bacon, I'd be knocking on your door with a loaf of delicious garlic bread, a six pack and a smile the next time you made this!

I don't have a bbq but I'd be willing to try this in the oven.

Wandering Coyote said...

Yum!

Karen: you don't like bacon??

Candy Minx said...

Ah, this meal I can relate to! Sounds delicious and I'd be so curious to see how it tases from the bbq. I just use buffalo and/or ground beef. No bread crumbs! A couple of eggs, some organic mustard, lots of onions and garlic...and quite often some bbq sauce. I usually make meatloaf about twice a month.

mister anchovy said...

I've tried it without the breadcrumbs, thinking that perhaps my mom just used them as an extender, but I didn't like the result. The texture was wrong (meaning my mom's texture was right). I've also tried it with just ground beef, and it was OK but I didn't think it had quite the same depth.