Friday, January 18, 2008

Bobby Fischer, chess genius, weird guy, RIP

Bobby Fischer has died in Iceland. He was 64. Some consider Fischer to have been the greatest chess master ever. He later earned a reputation as a strange crank, fueled by anti-Semitic and anti-American statements.

Quotes:
"Chess is Life".
"Is it against the law to kill a reporter?"
"Chess is a matter of delicate judgment, knowing when to punch and how to duck."
"There are tough players and nice guys, and I'm a tough player."
"I despise the media."
"Don't even mention losing to me. I can't stand to think of it."
All that matters on the chessboard is good moves."
"I don't believe in psychology. I believe in good moves."
"All I want to do, ever, is just play chess."
My opponents make good moves too. Sometimes I don't take these things into consideration."
"I know people who have all the will in the world, but still can't play good chess."

3 comments:

Malcolm said...

I read about Fischer's death earlier this morning. He was definitely an intriguing character. Although I am not into chess, I did enjoy the movie that he helped to inspire (Searching For Bobby Fischer).

FOUR DINNERS said...

He inspired me. Maybe 'cause he was weird. I played up to county standard over here. Then girls got in the way...

Candy Minx said...

Hmm.That is prety young. I was thinkignof writing a post about movies I'd like to see about oddball people...he would be one...he really did interest the public as a player and personality.