Friday, August 24, 2007

Where is this?



First, I have no idea how old the postcard is.
Can you identify the location?

While you're thinking about it, here are the lyrics for the Utah Phillips train song, Daddy What's a Train, followed by a video that features Utah's music followed by another video about a fantastic model train setup:

Daddy, what’s a train? Is it something I can ride?
Does it carry lots of grown-up folks and little kids inside?
Is it bigger than our house? Well how can I explain
When my little boy and girl ask me ‘Daddy, what’s a train?’

When I was just a boy and living by the track
Us kids would gather up the coal in big ’ole gunnysacks
Then we heard the warning sound as the train pulled into view
The engineer would smile and wave as she went rolling through

She blew so loud and clear, we had to cover up our ears
And we counted cars just as high as we could go
I can almost hear the steam those big old drivers scream
A sound my little kids will never know

Daddy, what’s a train? Is it something I can ride?
Does it carry lots of grown-up folks and little kids inside?
Is it bigger than our house? Well how can I explain
When my little boy and girl ask me ‘Daddy, what’s a train?’

I guess the times have changed, kids are different now
‘Cause some don’t even seem to know that milk comes from a cow
My little boy can tell the names of all the baseball stars
I remember how we memorized the names on railroad cars

The Wabash and the TP, Lackawanna, the IC
The Nichel-Plate and the good old Santa Fe
Just names out of the past, I guess they’re fading fast
Every time I hear my little boy say

Daddy, what’s a train? Is it something I can ride?
Does it carry lots of grown-up folks and little kids inside?
Is it bigger than our house? Well how can I explain
When my little boy and girl ask me ‘Daddy, what’s a train?’

We climbed into the car, drove down into town
Right up to the depot house, but no one was around
We searched the yard together for something I could show
But I knew there hadn’t been a train for a dozen years or so

All the things I did when I was just a kid
How far away those memories appear
I guess it’s plain to see they still mean a lot to me
’Cause my ambition was to be an engineer

Daddy, what’s a train? Is it something I can ride?
Does it carry lots of grown-up folks and little kids inside?
Is it bigger than our house? Well how can I explain
When my little boy and girl ask me ‘Daddy, what’s a train?’


11 comments:

shemvic said...

Mr A my guess will be the Fraser River Canyon here in Beautiful British Columbia. :)

mister anchovy said...

That's a very good guess Shemvic, but it isn't the Fraser River Canyon. PS thx for the article.

Karen said...

Looks like the Athabasca River valley, running through Jasper National Park.

Gardenia said...

Wind River Canyon in Wyoming?

By luck, I got in on a steam train ride in Wyoming from Rawlins to Laramie. The cars had been restored back to the 40's. What fun that was. It went through parts of the country that looked totally different than the interstate - could actually pay attention to the countryside.

Gardenia said...

What an awesome setup -

Gardenia said...

I meant to add that there is still a magnificent steamer ride through the mountains of Colorado.

The song - 'tis true and sad. I tried to describe to my grandson what that steamer ride was like, and he just couldn't relate.

mister anchovy said...

Gardenia, it's not the Wind River Canyon - which is a very beautiful place indeed.

Karen, very good guess, but no, it isn't the Athabasca River valley.

If nobody guesses by tomorrow, I'll tell...

sp said...

Well, I'm going to guess the Kicking Horse pass because the postcard reminded me of our trip to Golden and Yoho. I remember seeing the train tracks and thinking what a beautiful journey that would be.

mister anchovy said...

SP is correct. The postcard depicts the Kicking Horse Pass and the Canadian Pacific Railway. There are lots more photos here.

sp said...

Remarkable because I really haven't seen that much of the Rockies, but the one area I got to know well was that area.
The postcard even captured the colour tone of the water right.

Have you been there?

mister anchovy said...

Yes, it's a spectacular drive through there, isn't it?