Sunday, August 05, 2007

Cougar attacks kid near Kamloops!


A cougar attacked a 12 year old boy in a private campground near Kamloops BC. The boy escaped with multiple cuts and is being treated with antibiotics. That's scary business. It's pretty rare to even see a big cat. Good thing the boy is OK. Apparently, he's looking forward to going camping again.

I once saw a family of bobcat in Ontario. They were in a tree and my father and I were driving along this little bush two-track chasing trout. When they heard us, they ran down the tree and away. There appeared to be one adult and three little ones. Last year, on the Crowsnest River in Alberta, I saw fresh tracks from a big cat in the damp sand beside the river - in two places, actually. The tracks looked just like tracks made by my housecats except they were the size of my fist.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I appreciate that the family doesn't blame the cougar and they realize they were in it's territory. However, it's too bad the conservation officers didn't have the same attitude and they ended up killing it. Perhaps if we weren't invading it's territory and cutting off it's natural food supply, it wouldn't be attacking the campers. God, humans are stupid.

Wandering Coyote said...

Man, I hate seeing these kinds of stories...Cougar attacks are really rare, but city folk see this in the paper and get all freaked out. I don't understand why it was necessary to kill the cougar. They could have tranquilized it and relocated it. I'm glad the kid realized they were invading the cougar's territory. More people need to realize this, then we won't have stories like this cropping up.

mister anchovy said...

It is very very sad that the cougar was killed.

Anonymous said...

Bonjour, Monsieur Anchovy

I was going to ask if the Cougar had been treated with anti-biotics, but it seems they were rendered otiose by the Conservation Officers' response

Does History relate whether this occasioned the orphaning of any baby Cougars ?

Yr obedient servant etc

G Eagle

mister anchovy said...

jeez Eagle, I don't know. I hope any young cougars are OK.

Metro said...

Last winter I went for a stroll over our local hills. At the crest of the ridge behind my house, I found the well-gnawed spine of a deer. There were fresh tracks too.

It led me to wonder whether I was in the cougar's territory or it was in mine--just a kilometre or two from the downtown core, up beside the cell phone tower and hard by grazing cattle.