Monday, April 23, 2007

Word of the Day, an occasional feature



I had a discussion with S today about the word geek. S is younger than I am - perhaps that's why he was unfamiliar with the term referring to the circus, and specifically the job of biting the head off a live chicken. Recall the Bob Dylan tune from Highway 61 Revisited back in the mid-sixties:
"You hand in your ticket
And you go watch the geek
Who immediately walks up to you
When he hears you speak
And says, "How does it feel
To be such a freak?"
And you say, "Impossible"
As he hands you a bone".

I checked the urbandictionary.com for a little perspective.
I particularly enjoyed the first definition they put forward:
Geeks: the people you pick on in high school and wind up working for as an adult.
The geeky kid now owns a million dollar software company.

They also give some valuable information about finding out if you are in fact a geek:

There are certain signs to being a geek and not a nerd. You would be a geek if:

1. You have a "My other car is a Millenium Falcon" bumper sticker on your car.
2. You think your retainer resembles a Klingon Warship.
3. You can can tell what speed a computer is connecting just by the sound the modem makes.
4. You think your computer speaks to you in English.
5. You can write papers in Binary.
6. You use a VoiceModem headset when making calls.
7. Your idea of a house party is snacking on Rice Krispy Treats and watching Tron.
8. You've seen The Guyver.
9. You have the TIE Fighter ion cannon as your ringtone.
10. You call your bedroom the Fortress of Solitude.
11. If you are able to give ten identifying signs of a geek.

3 comments:

Gardenia said...

Too funny! I always told my kids when they mention "nerd" or "geek" - watch out - these are the folks who grow up to be the coolest........er, hottest. ?

Candy Minx said...

Heh heh...funny list...I think I fit all of the above sometimes...

Um, a real cool book on geeks is called GEEK LOVE one of the most brilliant books...I probably made you read it no? A family of circus performers and the parents do things to the pregnant mom to make freak kids to keep the family business flowing...

mister anchovy said...

hey Candy, I forgot all about that book. You did indeed suggest strongly that I read it.