Saturday, October 14, 2006

Wasted Days and Wasted Nights


Baldemar Huerta AKA Freddy Fender, died this afternoon. RIP.

The first exposure I had to Mr. Fender was on a talk show, maybe Johnny Carson, when he came out full of glitter and crazy hair and sang Wasted Days and Wasted Nights. At the time, - I must have been in my early teens - I just didn't get it. Later, I discovered Texas Tornados, the Tex Mex band led by Doug Sahm, and featuring Freddy Fender, Auggie Meyers and button accordion great Flaco Jimenez. That opened my eyes to a whole genre of border music, and I began to appreciate what a great singer Freddy Fender was.

1 comment:

Karen said...

How did I not hear about this? What a sad day. My dad was a Fender fan when we were younger and in university (during my country days) I too discovered the Texas Tornados. They rocked. RIP Freddie.