Sunday, June 18, 2006

Who stole the Keeshka

I've been learning the old Walt Solek polka from the 50s, Who Stole the Keeshka, and have been wondering just what a keeshka is. I grew up around a lot of traditional Polish cooking and nobody ever mentioned such a thing to me. It seems it is a sausage made with pork and liver and buckwheat - distinct from kielbassa, sausage to the gods. Hey, speaking of kielbassa, Tuffy has declared it a vegetable. She stopped eating meat years ago, but now that kielbassa is a vegetable, she has started eating it. I think her decision on this one must have to do with the garlic content!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

STAGGMAN from Chicago sez'
A whacky radio d.j. on the LOOP fm in Chicago plays a who stole the Keeshka song every now and again...It's got to be the same tune!? The whacky d.j. is Jonny b.

greatwhitebear said...

They serve keeshka in a lot of the taverns on the west side, along with such other polish favorites as blood sausage (Kaszanka), Duck blood soup, and, of course, pickled eggs. While I am not enamored of any of these, I must say, I consider Kielbasa and smoked sausage as a food group unto itself.