Sunday, October 09, 2005

diablo sauce

As soon as my scotch bonnets ripened in the garden a few weeks ago, I made up a batch of hot sauce, which turned out to be so popular, we soon found ourselves down to the last jar. The other day, I bought a bag of chiles to make another batch.

The stuff is simple to make....

Run all your chiles through a food processor.
Toss the chopped up chiles into a big pot with plenty of cider or wine vinegar.
Optional: add in chopped up onions and garlic (this time, I added about 30 cloves of garlic....last time I didn't add any....up to you)
Let it all simmer away for an hour or so.
Add in some white sugar (I use about 2 cups for a good sized pot full of sauce)
Simmer it for another twenty minutes.
Jar it up using standard canning procedures. I always put the filled and sealed jars back into boiling water for about 15 minutes.
Feel the love.

Check out the recipe for Berbere Sauce by following the link....it looks pretty interesting....

4 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Diablo indeed! Ouch!

Anonymous said...

How many chilies did you use with this recipe?
a chili head

mister anchovy said...

I filled one of those clear plastic bags at the grocery store

Radmila said...

My mother in laws recipe (Guyanese) includes a couple of mangoes, or some tamarind.
Try it.
It's fab.