Sunday, May 29, 2005

ACR


ACR, originally uploaded by mister anchovy.

Here is the Algoma Central Railway in the Sault, while they are loading the baggage cars. As well as the canoes and packs loaded, there were also 10 ATVs loaded onto that train, driven on really, headed for logging operations and fish and hunt camps along the route from Sault Ste Marie to Hearst. We were not the only party headed for Sand Lake that day. There were also 4 folks from Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Mike, Bill, Julie and Jake, who we met up with and made friends with, along the way.


By the way, here are the lyrics to Stompin' Tom Connors' classic ode to the ACR, Algoma Central No. 69:

She's on a bar hoppin spree back in Sault Ste. Marie,
Because of me she's now fallen star.
She could have been true, but I left her in the Soo,
& I travelled north upon the ACR
Chorus:
But if it's go home or be a roamer I've made up my mind
So take me home tonight Algoma Central 69
I was workin one day when I heard this fella say
he met my girl while drinkin at the bar
Though we fought between us two, still he swore that it was true-
Now I curse that day I rode the ACR
Chorus: But if it's go home or be a roamer, I've made up my mind..
Solo
Though it might be in vain, here I wait for the train,
I hope it's not too late to right the wrong
When she rolls around the bend, we'll be southbound again,
C'mon old ACR wheels move along.
First Verse:
She's on a bar hoppin spree, back in S. S. Marie,
Because of me she's now a fallen star
She could have been true, but I left her in the Soo,
& I travelled north upon the A.C.R.-
Chorus:
Repeat second line.
end

2 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

I really like Stompin Tom! I wish he got more airolay on the folk music shows here!

greatwhitebear said...

thats airplay!