Monday, November 10, 2008

Speaking of Blind Willie McTell...


Here's a fine version of Mr. McTell's Broke Down Engine Blues by Peter Case. Another of McTell's fabulous songs was Dying Crapshooters Blues, this version performed by Sidestreet Reny.

Mr. McTell recorded 149 songs between 1927 and 1956. I really like his 12-string guitar sound. Perhaps his most famous song was Statesboro Blues. Here's McTell's recording, and here's The Allman Brothers' take on it.

You might also be familiar with Delia, a song I've posted about in the past. The same story appears with somewhat different lyrics and melody on Johnny Cash's first American Recordings album, as Delia's Gone.
High above the mountain, high above the hill. Looking for those rounders looking after me. Cutty says to the judge what might be my fine? Judge says poor boy you've got 99. How could it be you wanted all them rounders but you never ever did want me?

2 comments:

Candy Minx said...

I enjoyed the versions of McTell, very nice. I could also imagine a deeper voice singing them too..

fitzgerald said...

Well you know that I talk about Blind Willie McTell all the time. Great post and cool links. Thanks. :)