Thursday, October 09, 2008

Delia

I thought it was about time to feature Delia on my banner. Since we've moved we've had piles of boxes around, mostly filled with books. Those boxes will stay there until we build some bookshelves. Delia likes to climb up to the highest box and rule the house from her little crowsnest. We call it "Mount Dee". She's up there right now.

Delia was named after the old folk song about poor Delia, who was murdered by her admirer Cutty (or Kenny...it varies depending on the performer), who couldn't bear the fact that Delia ran with those rounders but ignored him. In the Johnny Cash version, the telling line is, "If I hadn't shot poor Delia, I'd a had her for my wife - Delia's gone, one more round, Delia's gone.

Here's Martin Grosswendt. I first heard him backing up Utah Phillips on his album Good Though (highly recommended here at Anchovy World Headquarters). I love his version of Delia.



Jailer, Jailer, how can I sleep? When all I hear at night is the patter of Delia's little feet.

8 comments:

Bridget Jones said...

Glad you're featuring her. Poor baby looks like she's just woken up from a sleep.

Bridget Jones said...

p.s. now I have that song playing over and over and over in my head!

Wandering Coyote said...

She's such a sweetie! I don't think I met her back in January, though, did I?

mister anchovy said...

It's likely you didn't meet Delia, WC. Where people they don't know are around Delia and often her pal Spud, go into hiding. She's a very sweet cat, and a very peculiar one too! When she was a kitten, she had the strange habit of bringing her toys to the water dish and dropping them in. I think she's 14 or 15 now and she's still as healthy (and un-graceful) as ever.

mister anchovy said...

The current roster of lions, by the way is:
William
Delia
Jerry
Spud
Rossi
and last but not least, Shadow.

Gardenia said...

Uh, is Delia a bit of a rounder - or is it that her little feet patter all night? :)

One of our cats does that water thing with its little play mice - what IS that all about?

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Delia looks like a queen! Our cat drops her kibble into the water dish and then fishes the pieces out. She thinks she's hilarious.

mister anchovy said...

I suppose she is a rounder, since she knows all the angles.