Sunday, September 28, 2008

Did I tell you I'm all voted up?

Since we moved during an election here in Canada, our names showed up on the voters list in our old riding. We wanted to vote in our new riding, and to do this we had to go to an Elections Canada office in our area. They have rented some space not far from our place and put a dinky little sandwich sign by the road. Inside, I saw a handwritten sign saying reception, with a woman sitting on the other side of a window, wearing a t-shirt with the word love on it, reading a book.

I explained I've moved, and she called somebody who came down to look after me. I asked if there was any way I could vote right away, so I wouldn't have to spend any more time than necessary dealing with my duty to vote. It turned out that yes, I could vote by special ballot. I had to fill out a form, and then was taken to a room which appeared to be a disused kitchen. Beside the sink, there was a ballot awaiting me, along with a list of candidates in my riding. I had to print the name of the candidate I wanted to vote for on a little slip of paper, put that into an envelope, seal it, put it into another envelope, seal it, sign it, date it then tick off a box that said I signed and dated it... then I walked back over to the next room with my ballot and handed to the friendly Elections Canada person, who put it into the ballot box for me, saying, "you're now watching me put it into the ballot box". Then I had to promise to not vote again, and voila, I'm all voted up.

I've already done my part to try to heave Mr. Harper from office.

5 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Thank you!!!

Actually there is a possibility that I will be called away just before the election day, so I should really look into advance voting as well. So thanks for that reminder, too.

Wandering Coyote said...

Woo-hoo! I might go to the advance polls, too, but I did want to take a picture of voters coming in and out of our historic miners hall building on election day...

Stagg said...

Yippee! I have voted like that too, it's so interesting. I also lined up on Eglington to vote once. It seems I often travel in October!

Anonymous said...

You know what they say, "vote early, vote often"
Muppie

Anonymous said...

Somebody may think your vote is just a drop in the ocean and it has no meaning to waste your time for voting. But I believe it's the only way how to have our democracy running - every vote has small real power, but big symbolic one! And I believe our country gives us really enough chances to vote, even when we are limited by time and space...

Take care
Julie