Friday, August 22, 2008

Migration

This weekend I'm going to pack up my studio. This is going to be a challenge. When we "decluttered" Anchovy World Headquarters in preparation for selling it, we boxed a lot of stuff and loaded it into my studio. Tomorrow, I'll have to take all those boxes out in order to get at everything inside to pack up. My studio contains all kinds of art-making materials, finished paintings, unfinished paintings, scraps of ideas, junk, a little beer fridge (don't tell David Suzuki), tools, paper, panels, odd and ends, my banjo-dulcimer, books, shelving units, a bicycle, my tai chi swords, and who knows what else.

This all reminds me that if ever there was a time to get a spectacular deal on paintings, old and new, this is the time. If you're interested, let's talk. So you don't forget, order before midnight tomorrow. Operators on duty now. I'd love to find homes for a bunch of paintings!

5 comments:

Bridget Jones said...

Best wishes for the move!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You have tai chi swords? There are such things as tai chi swords?

Candy Minx said...

I can only imagine.

My wishes for you as you clear some of the stuff out, you find a cold case of beer in that fridge. You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

yeah I'm with barbara... tell us about the tai chi swords...

mister anchovy said...

There was a time about 10 years ago, when I started playing Tai Chi. I was really into it, and I had great teachers, who are masters from Shanghai. I learned Chen Style first and second forms, Sun Style, and then moved on to single and double fan forms and then single competition sword. I was learning the double sword form the summer before Tuffy P and I got hitched. At a certain point, I stepped away from the whole business. The amount of time I was spending on Tai Chi was more than I could sustain, and I found it difficult to just do a little. The void created when I stopped doing tai chi I filled with music, as I started to learn to play button and piano accordions.

The tai chi swords are metal swords, which are blunt. I'd say the blades are hollow. People associate tai chi with very slow movement, but it is martial and every movement is a fighting movement. The sword form and fan forms express this very clearly. Sometimes I wished I had kept up the practice, especially Chen Style first form, which I loved.