Sunday, July 06, 2008

Get Smart

Those of us old enough to recall the Get Smart television series may have a slight advantage going in to see this one, as there are some specific references to the old show throughout.

I had pretty low expectations about this movie. How good could it possibly be? Aren't we all sick to death of producers with no imagination coughing up old ideas over and over again?

I was wrong. I'm not going to write that sentence very often on these pages, so savour it friends. Get Smart is very funny and very well made. No small part of this was due to Steve Carell, who seems to be able to make anything worth watching.

On the 5-fish anchovy rating scale, I give this one a pizza full of tasty salties, washed down with a cold brew. Well worth watching.

For fans of old TV, here's a clip from a 1965 episode of the original Get Smart
Enjoy Barbara Feldon's hat. Har!

4 comments:

Candy Minx said...

Wow, I am shocked but very happy to hear you liked it. I really want to see this oen. I am so excited about a bunch of movies coming out this summer.

Malcolm said...

I'm off from work next week, so I may have time to go see it. Although no one can touch the legendary Don Adams, I thought that Steve Carell was the best choice to play Maxwell Smart in the new movie.

mister anchovy said...

Candy, we liked this one, but scroll down for my review of Wanted. What a stinker.

Malcolm, I agree, Steve Carell was an excellent choice.

zydeco fish said...

That's the second good review I've read from people I trust - really, I do trust you :-) It's on my list of movies to see.

By the way, I love the shrimp on a stick photo.