Saturday, April 12, 2008

Historic Building For Sale

Long has Rossland's landmark Bank of Montreal building been on sale. You can view details of the property here, and see what you get for your $1.125 million bucks. This photo gallery gives some idea of the interior.

Built in 1898 to actually house a branch of the famous bank, this building is one of a few of architectural gems in town, and was designed by Francis Rattenbury, who also designed such illustrious edifices as the Vancouver Courthouse and the Empress Hotel in Victoria.

This building dominating downtown Rossland holds some significance for most people who grew up here. Not only is it one of the town's defining features, but its front stairs used to be a favourite hangout for bored and listless youths, and it still is to some extent. Personally, I opened up my first bank account in this branch of the bank, and I loved to go there to do my banking because of the grandeur of the main floor's interior. The friezes, marble detail, domes, and arched windows made me feel like I was walking into a Victorian palace. It was like going back in time - and was much more enjoyable than taking a trip back in time via the local mine tour. The basement of the building housed the barber shop my parents used for our haircuts from childhood to teens.

The building now stands empty. It would make a smashing venue for a restaurant, bar, or club, and the "suite potential" on the upper floors would be totally sweet. I've seen people go in and out on tours with a real estate agent, but alas, I'd be surprised if anyone actually buys this. It might be a bargain in the current real estate market (no, I am not kidding), but it would cost a fortune to restore and remodel, not to mention retro-fitting wiring and heating, etc. And I can't see a posh restaurant or bar like it would have to be making it in this town.

Maybe it's best it stays unsold. Maybe it's best to keep it's uniqueness preserved in memory.

But I'd so love to go inside and take one more look...

2 comments:

mister anchovy said...

It's a beautiful building!

Wandering Coyote said...

Yep, it sure is! And the inside is amazing!