Tuesday, March 18, 2008

mister anchovy's new toy....




This organ has been sitting around at its last home for some time without seeing much action, when moving time came and it was offered to me. How could I turn down an old Hammond organ? The answer is that I couldn't. My friend SC, who happens to be a big guy with a truck and a really good sport, helped me haul it home today.

I don't know what model this is, or how old it is or really anything much about it. It's working, but I'd say it needs a little work. The speaker is making some noise, and, while the keyboard is all working, a couple of the switches don't seem to be functional. I think the first thing to do is to clean it up. I'm betting that the contacts haven't been cleaned in many years, and I'm hoping that a good cleaning will be helpful. As well, I think I'll have to bipass the built-in speaker and connect to some kind of keyboard speaker. I'm not going to try to get a Leslie for it. We just don't have the room right now.

If there are any keyboard experts out there, any advice is appreciated. I don't know that much about organs, and while I play piano accordion, it takes a little getting used to a horizontal keyboard. It doesn't seem right. I think I'm going to have some fun with this.

4 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Cool, but where will you put it?

mister anchovy said...

For now,it's in the back room behind the kitchen.

sp said...

Very nice addition. I played piano for several years and I remember picking up an accordion once and had the hardest time trying to figure out how to play with the keys vertical. My instinct was to set the accordion on my lap. My sister had much more success. I stuck to the piano.

Anonymous said...

Wow… I just love your musical instruments, will have lot of fun with them.