Thursday, November 01, 2007

The new and improved Postcard Challenge



As regular visitors to my little island know, I've been periodically posting postcards and asking visitors to tell me something or other about them - and I'm very impressed at how quickly some of you manage to get the right answer.

This one might be a little tougher (but then again, you may surprise me - I think it's possible to figure this one out), so it's time to up the ante a little bit. From this visual clue, I'm looking for a place, a person and a date, and incomplete answers don't count. This time, there will be a prize. Give me the answer I'm looking for and I'll create a a piece of digital artwork incorporating the postcard image, print it out on 100% paper using a genuine inkjet printer, and mail it to you.

Contest closes Sunday November 4, 2007, at midnight my time. Judges decisions (that's me) are final. Only one prize will be awarded to the first visitor to come up with the answers I'm seeking. If you're all stumped (hardly likely), I might consider giving a clue.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

in Canada or not?
what do you mean by "person"

mister anchovy said...

If I gave out all that information, it would be easy, wouldn't it?...as I said, there may be clues, but not tonight. ...are you the same anonymous who guessed the Agawa Canyon postcard?

Gardenia said...

Wow, nice prize!

This one has me lost, unless it is a model railroad. The photo has the qualities of a photograph of a model railroad. But then it's five a.m. in the morning here and I've been blogging since 4 a.m. :)

mister anchovy said...

It isn't a model railroad. It is an old photo of a real place.

Wandering Coyote said...

Looks like it could be Newfoundland or Ireland or somewhere like that. I have no idea, however.

I guess I should put a post up here one of these days, eh? Sorry for my silence...

Candy Minx said...

I have no idea, I agree with Wandering Coyote, looks like Halifax or New Foundland...or like my old high schol before someone wisely burnt it down...

fishermuns said...

Battle Harbor or Red Bay Labrador??

sp said...

This is a tough one. I think it's the Maritimes for sure but that's as far as I've gotten so far.

sp said...

I've got the person and the place...now I just need the time.

sp said...

Okay, here goes...
It's the Avalon peninsula in Newfoundland. The postcard is of the Colony of Avalon named by Lord Baltimore in 1621. There's a significant archeological dig here which is why this site would end up on a postcard at all.
I'm not sure of the date of the postcard itself. It looks like the 40s to me, but I'm going with the 1621 date because that's when Baltimore (re)named the colony.

Anonymous said...

yes - i am the same person. i've been out of commission for a while ... who guessed Agawa Canyon!!!