Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Ring



Tuffy P's family has a cottage up in the Kawarthas, and today we drove up there to celebrate V's birthday with a bbq (chef anchovy in the house). It was a really nice clear day, no humidity, not too hot, perfect. The bbq was tasty, and after, Luke and I played some music on guitar and button accordion.

After cleaning up, Tuffy and I piled into the anchovy-mobile for the drive home. Half an hour away from the cottage, she says, "My wedding ring. It's not on". Contemplating that, I continued to drive. We soon ruled out any possibility of it being in the car, and took the next exit and started back north on the 35-115.

Tuffy has been making a concerted and successful effort at shedding some unwanted lbs, a good thing in many ways, but it seems her rings are now just a wee bit loose. Back at the cottage, we look in the sink and on the counters in the kitchen. Perhaps it was on the grass - if so, we'd never find it. Tuffy and her dad pulled out the kitchen garbage and set up a search station, sifting through food scraps and other assorted stuff (no organic recycling up there). It was looking grim as they got through most of the bag when Tuffy's dad said, "Here it is. I've got it." Yes, Tuffy's wedding ring must have slipped off her finger and ended up in the kitchen waste - and against all odds, we found it.

Back on the road, through Omemee, through Bethany. south onto the 35-115, and west onto the 401. "We're really lucky, there's no traffic", I hear, just as the 401 is about to grind to a halt, all west-bound lanes closed. We crawled the next few kilometers as the police were routing the entire highway off onto Salem Rd. in Ajax. We drove south and across 2 to Brock and then back up to the 401.

I'm really glad to be home, and celebrated with a double scotch.

2 comments:

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

I'm so happy that she found the ring. I lost a bracelet that my husband had given me as a gift for our anniversary at a function at The American Club here in Singapore. I was devastated and it was ruining my evening. I went to the front desk to tell them to be on the look-out, just in case someone was honest. The woman there asked me what it looked like, etc. and there it was! The clasp had broken and some honest person turned it in. I was so grateful, and it restored my faith in humanity.

Gardenia said...

A scotch or two or three or four would have been in order after that stressful search and rescue, then the drive back home! Until the lost ring point, though it sounded like a super good time.