Wednesday, August 01, 2007

What's up with Collingwood

They have an honest-to-god annual Elvis Festival in Collingwood Ontario. This happened just last weekend, and they apparently picked a winning Elvis impersonator to go on to the next level of Elvis craziness at Graceland.

The big question is why? Was this the brainchild of the good folks at some rate-payers group or was it the municipal politicians? I used to think of Collingwood as a place people go to ski around here, but I can see now that they have way more depth. They have Elvis.

Tuffy P and I visited Graceland on a roadtrip that took us to Memphis some time back. It is a really strange and strangely compelling place. I'm kind of glad I visited. But, I don't think I'd trek up to Collingwood for the Elvis festival. I got more than my fill with the real-deal.

2 comments:

Candy Minx said...

I think Graceland is awesome and you're right strangley haunting. Is Collingwood trying to get a year round tourism and why Elvis? Questions questions...

Anonymous said...

I love how the article is in the Arts & Music section!!-?


STAGG