Thursday, August 02, 2007

Take a walk on over.....


to Echoes in the Wind and watch the fantastic video posted there of Howlin' Wolf making is television debut on Shindig, of all places. Watching a performance like this, it's no wonder so many rock n roll performers worshipped at the feet of bluesmen like Wolf.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I stumbled into this sort of related site, Dead Blues Guys. To quote from the site: "DBG presents photographs of the graves, headstones and commemorative markers of departed blues artists. There are links to biographical and related information on each artist's page. Go to "The DBG Tour" to select your first Dead Blues Guy. Please see our "Missing Persons" page for DBGs we don't have. If they are in your area, why not send us a photo or two? DBG welcomes your contributions." They even have a photo of Furry Lewis' grave in the Hollywood Cemetery in Memphis. There is a new headstone there now!!! We looked for Furry's grave while we were in Memphis, without success. You'll find a photo of the original marker there as well. This cemetery was in a sorry state when we visited, but it looks like it has received some attention since.

2 comments:

Candy Minx said...

Well it does look like it got a little evened out by looking at the graves behind his tombstone. I'm glad to finally see the old one though...I like how it just says "blues man"..

the new one is nice too although a little chessey but you know...now maybe with tourists giving pressure the cemetary will try to take care of it's self etc and maybe some new jobs will show up for the ommunity. If people went to see this much easier to find tombstone marker.

I will never forget how scared I got walking around that cemetary because osme of the graves were coming open and the ground was so uneven. I think I likely had impractical shoes on too...as is my habit ha.

Tuffy P said let's all spilt up and look...and after about twenty minutes in the hge graveyard...with dark shadows and some sunny spots...and a ravine and open abandoned situation I said..."oh no...this is exactly like the silly people in horro movies and we sit in the audience and say how stupid of them to spilt up!"

IM said...

Thankyou Thankyou for that link. I love Howlin' Wolf. I especially like the albums "Muddy and the Wolf" and the Howlin' Wolf London Sessions with all those brit blues guys. (the banter before Little Red Rooster!) I noticed Brian Jones in the background of the Shindig video. I'm going to check out Dead Blues Guys next.