Saturday, August 04, 2007

gesso disaster

These days I paint in a very small studio. Actually, it is a converted 12X12' shed. I've insulated it and put in a window and ran power out to it for an electric heater for winter, and lights and whatever tools I might want to use. Once I put a work table and some shelves and a bunch of paintings and assorted other stuff (like my bicycle) in there, it became a fairly tight but workable space to work in. I recently finished a diptych I painted for a friend of mine, and this afternoon, I planned to prep for a new group of small paintings. A while back I bought a gallon tub of acrylic gesso. This is basically acrylic polymer emulsion, a little white pigment, and some kind of chalky filler stuff they use to give it the right kind of body. I use this to prep surfaces for painting. This particular gesso came in a tub with a lid that required me to snap off a chunk of plastic to open it up. I did this and started to pull the lid open. As I did this, the lid suddenly pulled off faster than it should and I lost my grip on the jug, knocking it to the floor of the studio. Now depending on the maker and I think the age of the gesso, it can have a variety of textures. I've had some that was very thick, and some that was sort of jelly-like - gesso that you could turn upside down, take your time about picking up, and still not have a mess. This gesso was different. It was more liquid than usual, smooth and flowing. About 3/4 of a gallon of the stuff was on the floor of the studio before I could right the tub, spreading across my work area. I scrambled to move away stuff that would be wrecked by the gesso, then grabbed some new canvases and started to prep them from the pool on the floor. I primed every new canvas I had ready to go, and still had a big pool of gesso on the floor. The good news is that the floor is just rough spruce plywood and I don't care about the paint on the floor. I figured the best way to clean up the mess was to spread it on as much floor as I could and let it dry. It's drying now.

I won't go in there for a few days.

2 comments:

tshsmom said...

LOL, that's how our shed floor got painted! Our nephew kicked over an almost full gallon of brown paint that my hubby hadn't closed properly.
The best way to clean it up was to spread it. ;)

shemvic said...

waste not, want not.
Fast thinking buckaroo.