Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Wall Drawing

In 1982, I worked on a Sol Lewitt wall drawing at David Bellman Gallery in Toronto. This story came to mind after I heard yesterday of the death of Mr. Lewitt. If I recall correctly, the gallery was on Peter St, perhaps just north of Adelaide. One of our teachers at York University asked me and my pal John if we would like to participate. We were part of a whole crew of people that were led by Mr. Lewitt's assistant at the time (sorry, I forget his name). Lewitt was in Europe somewhere and we never saw him.

The drawing was to be carried out on the walls of Bellman's big space based on a specific set of instructions. The images were squares, circles and triangles in different order across the walls. On some walls, the images were surrounded with a grey ink wash and on other walls the ink wash was applied within the figures. The ink was mixed up based on a specific formula and even the way we wiped the ink onto the wall had to be done in a certain way. Over everything was to be a grid done in 9H pencil. Have you ever seen a 9H pencil? Consider that a 4H pencil is very hard and makes a very light line on paper. 9H is rockhard. I recall clearly catching hell because I wasn't twirling the 9H pencil as I drew the grid lines, causing parts of the lines to be thicker than other parts (I swear you couldn't actually see this).

One of the highlights of the job was lunch. Bellman would take us out for fabulous lunches every day. We were art students and this was a big thing. It made up for not being paid for the gig.

Perhaps halfway through the job, we were applying ink wash to the wall, and stranger than strange, these large letters started to appear. It was the residue of a previous exhibition by another conceptual artist, Lawrence Weiner. Weiner's stock and trade was words, applied to walls in various materials. This particular piece appeared to have been applied in enamel paints, then covered over with gallery latex. When the ink was washed on, we could read the letters.

We thought this was fabulous - sort of an accidental collaboration between two conceptual art giants. LeWitt's assistant wasn't amused. He traced Sol down and came back with a decision. We cover everything, seal it, and start again. We bought drums of this nasty white shellac-based sealer and covered it the next day. I recall feeling very woozy by the time we finished. The completed piece was fine, but I still think it would have been more interesting to leave the Weiner come through. What a happy accident! You couldn't have planned it.

Hey John, if you read this, do you recall any other interesting details about the drawing? I still have the little LeWitt drawing on a postcard that was our honourarium for doing the gig. Later, Bellman paid us good dough to paint over the piece.

6 comments:

Timmer said...

Great story Mr. Anchovy!

Gardenia said...

Some really fabulous works come from happy accidents. A agree - too bad they didn't leave the paintings merged.

sp said...

Great story. I'm a great fan of Weiner's work. What a cool thing to happen. I agree it would have been interesting to let the "collaboration" occur.

Candy Minx said...

Well, lunch was my favourite memory of surviving working with one of LeWitts assistants.

The guy was a nightmare and Martina and I had to figure out all the math and drawings...which was the most fun of the whole project. I did not believe my grade nine teacher that I would use trigonometry someday.We did get paid though...but hardly enough for all the sexual harassment.

Move over Imus, make room for LeWitts twit.

I wish there was a photo of the Weiner bleeding through the LeWitt.

I remember you guys working on this and I remember us howling with laughter one night about the Weiner coming through.

mister anchovy said...

We dealt with different assistant than the character who tormented you, and really I don't recall any problems working with the guy. I would have like to have met LeWitt though. I think he would have been an interesting guy to hang with.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eugene
I still have my Postcard ,I saw our names once in a Sol Lewitt catalogue a summary of every Sol Lewitt ever made,the names were very small.Sad news about Kurt V. I thought of you right away
John McC