Sunday, April 29, 2007

Opening Day

Trout season opened today. I had breakfast this morning with the usual cranks who fish the upper Credit, then parked by the river and went for a long walk upstream.

It felt really good to be walking a stream again. The water was high and discoloured. The sky was grey and the greens on the cedars by the river were intense. This early in the spring, the forest is sparse - you can see quite a distance through the trees. I walked upstream for about 45 minutes before cutting over to the river from the path, and fished a stretch we call the meadows. For a while a fine mist filled the air, just enough to notice, but not enough to get soaked through. You can see some pictures of the river on my fly fishing blog.

I caught and released one trout at a place the guys call stuck-truck pool. There is no truck stuck there; maybe there was once. The river has changed, and now it is more of a run than a pool, but we don't call it stuck-truck run. That wouldn't be right.

My left knee has been giving me problems for the past few months - doctor thinks I strained a ligament, so I took it easy wading to avoid twisting it. I'm happy to report that it held up well.

It was good to see the guys for breakfast and it was especially good to be on a trout stream today.

No comments: