Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Busking Permit Adventure

The city has amalgamated licensing offices as of the end of March, which meant that I had to go to the East York Civic Centre at Coxwell and Mortimer to get my busking permit. No matter what your license-related business, you have to stand at the end of a long line. I was in it for close to two hours. Finally, I got to the counter. I handed the lady my application. What is this for? Busking? Busking like how? Busking like playing a button accordion. OK. Do you have a business license. No. OK. She typed for a minute, handed me my application and said, sit down, we'll call you. Sat down for 15 minutes until my name was called. Mister Anchovy, why are you here. To get a busking permit. Busking like how? Busking like playing a button accordion. OK, go to cubicle 6 around the corner. I stand at cubicle 6 for a minute or so. So what do you do? I play a button accordion. Please write that on the application form. OK. You know it's $34.00. Yes. I take out my wallet. No, sir, you don't pay here? I don't. No you have a seat at the cashier's waiting area. It will only be a few minutes. I wait and after a few minutes I get called. It's $34.00. OK. She hands my my permit. I want to clarify a couple of the restrictions. I'm sorry sir, cashiers don't have that kind of information. No? No. You'll have to stand in line at the front. You should have asked your questions the first time. I'll take my chances that I don't do anything wrong. I can give you our call-centre number. We have 3 people who answer the phones. OK. Have a nice day.

11 comments:

Candy Minx said...

Hey great news...we're thinking of getting a permit too we were inspired by your story. A permit for what? An advice booth.

Candy Minx said...

Oh...and now this Saturday I hope you make 34 bucks!

mister anchovy said...

nothing like an adventure into government burocracy...spectacular!

Candy Minx said...

I am pretty surprised you actually made it trhough the whole waiting, thats awesome.

and it's an hilarious image in my mind you telling them what you needed a permit for...it brought to mind the movie Brazil for some reason.

Red said...

I hated reading this (sorry, Mr A!).

I have always held Canada in great esteem and I honestly thought this sort of bureaucratic nonsense only happened in Italy. You have just shattered a dream, here, dude.

mister anchovy said...

Sorry to shatter your dream, Red. I hate when that happens.

sp said...

Okay now I'm starting to think that this is a conspiracy. I guess if you had been taken into a room and questioned further about the button accordion it would be more suspicious.

What a hassle. What patience you have to endure that. I'm glad you walked out of there with the permit. Hope the season is profitable for you.

mister anchovy said...

My goal is to make enough from busking this year to buy a swanky new button accordion....

Maria said...

Where do you busk? Have I seen you?

mister anchovy said...

for several months, I was playing Saturdays at St. Lawrence Market, mostly in the north building....but one of the vendors decided he didn't want to hear me anymore, so I'm figuring out new spots.

Anonymous said...

i'm going to get my busking liscence today! im going to a be a live street burlesquer!