Friday, March 16, 2007

the Conrad Black trial

The jury has been selected for the Conrad Black trial. My friend MJ emailed me to say that the Globe and Mail stated that the dream juror for the defence is an artist "because an artist can see the nuances." That's an interesting thought. Most of the artists I know, though, aren't rich and have a well-developed suspicion of the ultra-rich. And Black is so easy to detest. He's arrogant. He gave up his Canadian citizenship to become a British lord. His wife is as arrogant as he is, and from her writing appears to be teetering on the extreme wacky right. I think with a jury of artists, Black would be toast.

I have no idea if Conrad Black is guilty as charged or not. I will admit to feeling a certain satisfaction when rich white-collar criminals are brought down.

I'm looking forward to following the trial.

No comments: