Monday, March 12, 2007

The cats, Karel Appel, and CoBrA


Tonight I was playing with my cat Shadow and was suddenly reminded of Karel Appel's cats. He did loads of them as you can see from the link - maybe as many as Enrico Baj painted Generals - I don't know. Googling around to support this post, I found out that Mr. Appel died last year, in May, at 85. For those who don't know, Mr. Appel was a founding member of the CoBrA movement - Copenhagen, Brussels and Amsterdam - as well as a delightful painter.

I've long admired a number of the CoBrA artists, for their work during that short-lived movement, and later. Along with Appel, Asger Jorn and Pierre Alechinsky are in my mind monster painters. I'm surprised at how many art lovers, and even artists I've met, know little about their works.

1 comment:

Gardenia said...

I've never heard of CoBrA - it was fun touring the site links - thanks!