Saturday, December 23, 2006

Musicians who have covered Stagger Lee

via Information Junk, your source for, well....your source for all kinds of interesting things. This is a very good list....I can only think of a couple missing versions, by Ben Andrews and by Bert Garvin. A while back, The pre-war blues site Honey where you been so long posted many versions, in a spectacular Stagger Lee week. That is a fabulous site, by the way...right now, he's got some Ramblin Jack material up. I love Ramblin Jack!

Who is the real Stagger Lee?

2 comments:

* (asterisk) said...

I've only got (and heard fully) the Nick Cave version, and I like it very much. I heard a bit of another version on a film one time, but no idea who it was by.

mister anchovy said...

I like the Nick Cave version. It stays from most of the originals in terms of melody and lyrics, but the theme is there, and it is so dramatic, and very well done. The most famous version is by Lloyd Price - it was an R&B hit in I think 1959. There is some good info about it here. Check out Bob Dylan's version on his 1993 World Gone Wrong album - it is pretty loyal to the early versions, especially Frank Hutchenson's.