Saturday, December 23, 2006

Making Patychky part 2






Prepare a roasting pan by laying some sticks of celery along the bottom.

Brown your patychky in vegetable oil just until they are brown on all sides. I use a heavy bottom pan for this.

After browning, lay the patychky on top of the celery. This way they stay off the bottom of the pan. My mom didn't do this, but Tuffy's mom did, and I think it is a great idea, so I do it every time now.

Roast at 350 F for 45 minutes to an hour. I generally test one at 45 minutes by eating it (yum).

These are great the next day as well as right out of the oven. If next day, just gently heat them up, taking care not to let them dry out.

I gave this recipe to my sister-in-law who tried it out at a recent family gathering. They were perfect - exactly like mine. Patychky are not hard to make...they just require a little time for marinating and preparation. The watchword is gentle. When you brown them, take care not to let the oil burn, and when you roast them, don't put the heat up past 350 F.

If any of you try these, let me know how you liked them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the celery tip is very clever idea...do you eat the celery afterwards...because I bet it tastes great. Behzads mum when she cooks rice lays down sliver thin strips of potatoes and slow cooks the deal...afterwards Behzad said all the family would try to be the ones to get the potatoes at the bottom....

These look so yummy!

Have a great couple days guys talk to you soon okay?

Hugs and more hugs and kisses!!!!!!

mister anchovy said...

We don't eat the celery... however, when we make cabbage rolls, we line the roaster with cabbage, which carmelizes while the rolls roast. My sister says that the cabbage lining the pan is the best part.

Red said...

Omigod, this looks so good! Can we make it with chicken? I might get * to give it a go (he's the eat chef in our household).

Merry Christmas to you both! Have a fab day!

mister anchovy said...

Yes, some people make it with chicken, and it's good too. The traditional recipe uses pork and veal mix.