Saturday, October 07, 2006

What's With 117?

The authour Cormac McCarthy wrote two passages in his novel No Country For Old Men last year. They both had the number 117 in them. This has made many readers curious. what is the significance...?

Chiguh pulled up across the street and shut off the engine. He turned off the lights and sat watching the darkened house. The green diode numerals on the radio put the time at 1:17.

When Bell got out he took a look around the lot and then walked up to the door at 117 and tried the knob.

Now, this made me curious enough last year as I read the novel. People in my book club wondered if it was passages from the bible. I tried to find dates in Plato. Some have suggested it has something to do with St,Anthony's day, on January 17th. Or the conspiracy of Jesus survuiving the cross and his children with Mary are alive and well and living in the south of France.

Imagine my surprise as I am reading his new novel, The Road, and come across this...

The clocks stopped at 1:17. A long shear of light and then a series of low concussions. He got up and went to the window. Whatis it? she said. He didn't answer. He went into the bathroomand threw the lightswitch but the power was already gone. A dull rose glow in the windowglass.

Mister Anchovy has many well-read and knowledgeable visitors...I'm hoping one or some of you might have an idea of the significance of this number? HELP!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cormac is bonking us over the head with two bible passages (I went for the King James Version)

John 1:17 - For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

James 1:17 - Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Candy, you know I love your shoes, and I think you're wonderful, but I refuse to read the book Revelations for further clues.

Candy Minx said...

hee hee, well thank you...I wouldn't want to make anyone read Revelations or anything. I was wondering if there was some kind of a weird reference in science or somehting too. I don't know. Those are great passages though from James and John, thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

Cormac McCarthy is just so damn literary that the references would be more likely biblical and poetic. (I read some where that Yeats was a reference as well.)

I haven't read this particular McCarthy title yet, but I will. It's getting great reviews all over the place.

thehealingroom said...

candy, candy, candy....switch it around!
Its 7, 11.
The convenience store that is a symbol of a Taker-Society.

Candy Minx said...

oh! That must be it!!!!