Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Musicas de Portugal



While in Portugal, I had my eyes open for traditional accordion and concertina music, and was surprised that it wasn't readily available. I've heard it is more common in the north of the country in the Minho. Certainly, the soul of Lisbon is rooted in Fado. I did find one good CD in a village called Sobreiros, just outside Mafra, at a folky-dolky miniature village (and ceramics store). The CD is called Musicas de Portugal, by Tino Costa. Mr. Costa plays the chromatic button accordion. Here is a song (for educational purposes only) from that CD, Musicas de Portugal. The dominant riff in the tune reminds me of a tune I play on my Corona II button box, called A Pita O Comboio (The Whistle of the Train). If you happen upon any of Mr. Costa's recordings, please remember to support your local Portuguese accordionist, and buy up a few CDs.

By the way, the photo is from the monastery at Tomar, once headquarters of the Knights Templar, a Christian military order from the middle ages.

1 comment:

Fatema Fazal said...

What a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing it :)