Friday, June 17, 2005

meat sticks

These are called patichki, or patychky....but growing up, we just called them meat sticks.

Cut up a quantity or pork and veal into 1 and a quarter inch cubes (more or less)....you can use any cut of meat you like....I usually get inexpensive roasts and cut them up.
Chop up a hand-full of garlic and mix it in with the meat. Add a bottle of beer, or if you want to get fancy, you can use sherry. Let the mixture marinate in the fridge overnight.
Meanwhile, you have to get the right sticks....these are wooden skewers that are about 6 inches long.....those really long skinny ones won't do. I get mine at Czehowski's on the Queensway.
Next day......skewer the meat such that you cover as much of the sticks as you can. Alternate pork and veal....or often I use all pork, which is really just as good.
Roll the meat sticks in a bowl filled with lightly beaten eggs, then roll them in a mixture of breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
Brown them in a skillet in vegetable oil until they have good colour.
Lay out a few sticks of celery on the bottom of a roasting pan.
Stack the meat sticks such that the celery keeps them off the bottom of the pan.
Roast for about 45 minutes in a 350 or 375 oven.

Enjoy hot, with a cold beer.

When I eat these, I think of holidays as a child, when my mother would make huge pans of them, along with cabbage rolls and hundreds of perogi. It doesn't get any better.

9 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

Sounds really good....what happened to your sidebar?

mister anchovy said...

sidebar seems to be all there, but it IS loading really slowly today....must be some kind of blogger nonsense going on....let me know if you continue to not see it!

greatwhitebear said...

something wierd going on. On Safari, your side bar info is appearing below all your posts. On IE, it apears in proper place but with ghost images. I don't seem to be seeing this on any other blogs, so I sont think its my puter.

mister anchovy said...

that's really strange, because I'm looking at it on Safari, and it seems just fine....I'll check on IE and see what happens....

mister anchovy said...

for me it's really jimmied on IE too....I don't know what's going on, since I didn't mess with the template.....I'm going to wait it out for a day or two and if doesn't rectify itself, I'll start messing around with it.....maybe it's telling me it's time to play with a new template????

mister anchovy said...

OK, I found a missing / in my template and it looks OK to me on both Safari and Internet Explorer. Can you guys see everything OK now? It is very strange because I never touched this part of the template, yet it somehow became corrupted......

greatwhitebear said...

looks good now. I think it may have been a blogger issue because wandering coyote was having side bar issues too!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ...

I wonder if Krechmer's Wheat Germ would work? Ever had that? Roll some calves liver in it sometime and sautee. It can be found in any grocery store in a jar. Good stuff!

mister anchovy said...

wheat germ? sounds interesting....