Sunday, April 24, 2005

The sturgeon


sturgeon, originally uploaded by mister anchovy.

My father was a great story-teller. For many years I heard him recount the legend of the sturgeon he caught in the Nottawasaga River, fishing with a flyrod, but using worms for bait. He used to say that the sturgeon was bigger than my brother at the time, and better looking too. Well, now you can judge for yourself. From left, brother Joe, father (also Joe), sturgeon (un-named). Legend has it that this fish was 57 pounds and 57 inches.

2 comments:

zydeco fish said...

The shadow cast by the photographer is interesting too. Do you know who it was? I have been scanning hundreds of my mother's old photos. I am amazed that she got such good results with her old Brownie Hawkeye.

mister anchovy said...

it could be my uncle Stan, or my uncle Casey....my dad never mentioned it, although I heard all about his battle with the sturgeon...