Friday, March 25, 2005

Office Transfer

Did anyone see the premiere of the first episode of the American knock-off of The Office. Thankfully, I had an excuse not to, since I was a Hugh's Room for the Ramblin' Jack show. I have seen all the British shows on DVD, but I don't think I can bear to watch the Americano treatment. This reminds me of the wacky idea somebody had of turning My Big Fat Greek Wedding into a TV show - doomed to dismal failure before filming even started. But our world is in spin, and for all I know, The (American) Office will strike a chord and be tremendously popular. The closest thing I can remember on American television to the spirit of The Office is the old Martin Mull vehicle, Fernwood Tonight. Does anyone remember that one?

2 comments:

greatwhitebear said...

Fortunately, I too had good excuse to miss it, but the reviews have panned it severely.

Biggest problem with MY BIG FAT GREEK LIFE was that they brought the entire movie cast along EXCEPT the brilliant Jon Corbett! The first time you saw the tv show, you realized how much Corbett brought to the movie!

And yes, I vivdly remember Martin Mulls character in MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN and FERNWOOD TONGIHT

Anonymous said...

Fernwood Tonight was hilarious, and more than a bit ahead of its time. The chemistry between Mull and Willard was as good as any of the great comedy duos since and after.