Saturday, November 27, 2004

Continuation Of Quality Meat Strike Reroutes More Hogs

I lived across from Quality Meats in Toronto for years - I was in the old coffin factory at 101 - 109 Niagara. I used to see the guys in their bloodied up outfits sitting on lunch every day in front of Billy's Speedy Restaurant at the corner of Niagara and Tecumseth. They were good neighbours. The old hood has deteriorated though, now that there are lofts and condos everywhere. I hardly recognize the place. At least La Pizza is still operating. I ate a lot of garlic slices there in my time and loved every one of them.

2 comments:

Radmila said...

Mr Anchovy...I so grew up just west of there.
The neighbourhood his finally starting to get the respect it deserves.
Now, if they could just move the mental institution....

mister anchovy said...

In the mid-eighties, I lived in an old hardware store on Ossington Ave, above Queen. It's now the Lang Van 2, or something like that. We had not only the mental institution, but also a drunk tank to contend with. It meant an inexpensive neighbourhood for artists to live in. I liked it there a lot, surrounded by Portuguese kitchen cabinet shops. And there were family memories too. My mom grew up on Belwoods; my dad was a Junction boy. When I was a kid, we always bought kielbossa from Czhowski at Queen and Euclid for Christmas and for Easter. Now, Mrs. Anchovy and I live above St. Clair, near Calidonia....